Thursday 4 July 2013

DARK GIRLS

"I DON'T REALLY LIKE DARK SKINNED WOMEN BECAUSE THEY LOOK FUNNY BESIDE ME" 



This just demonstrated the ignorance of people within black culture as one black male was asked his opinion on dark skinned girls. 

Dark Girls a documentary showcasing the attitudes of people in how they think and act around dark skinned women, not only from other races but from within the black community. Making it's world television premier on OWN (Oprah Winfrey Network) Dark Girls was a moving and thought provoking documentary which often had me thinking and questioning our social attitudes into what we say without actually thinking of the impact it may have on people. While watching this I couldn't help but think if I had been experiencing deja vu. Had I seen this documentary before? I think I did however this version had been slightly upgraded. 

Phrases which echoed throughout the documentary were ones I had heard myself through my own experiences, such as...
"She looks pretty for a dark skinned girl" 
"I don't date dark skinned girls" 
"Black girls are too aggressive" 

Reflecting back on my days studying Sociology at college reminded me when you say something to someone long enough they will start to believe it themselves therefore creating a self fulfilling prophecy. What shocked me the most out of the documentary was the reactions from children. One child was shown a cartoon of 5 girls with different skin tones placed in order from lightest to darkest. She was asked which girl was the prettiest to which she answered the white girl. She was then asked which girl was the ugliest to which she answered the darkest girl. When asked her reasons for her decision she replied..."Because she is black"

Dark Girls was a documentary which really broke down the history of black people, discussing the concept of the brown paper bag test. If you were darker than the paper bag you were considered ugly, stupid and worthless. They also reflected on how black people are portrayed within the media, as they discussed the lightening of Beyonce's skin in the Lore'l ad campaign to how skin bleaching is becoming a normality in parts of Africa and the Western world. While also exploring how social media has provided people with an online veil to hide behind as they racially degrade each other. 

This documentary is must see for everyone especially for black women. The underlying theme of learning to love yourself and accepting who you are found its light throughout the film and by the end of film it proclaimed that black women must rise. Rise above every circumstance and rise above every oppression.

DARK GIRLS WILL BE AVAILABLE ON DVD 24TH SEPTEMBER 2013
CHECK YOUR LISTINGS FOR REPEATS ON OWN



No comments:

Post a Comment

Google+